green card for children 2

Family Preference Green Card

At Wogwu Law, we understand the importance of family and the desire to bring loved ones to the United States. The Family Preference Green Card is a vital pathway for many clients seeking to reunite with family living abroad. We aim to provide clear, practical guidance on overcoming this process, ensuring your family's immigration journey is as smooth and stress-free as possible.

Understanding the Family Preference Categories

The Family Preference Green Card program is a component of U.S. immigration policy that allows U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPRs) to sponsor certain family members for permanent residency (Green Cards). This program is divided into four main categories, each with its eligibility criteria and annual limits on the number of Green Cards that can be issued. Understanding these categories is crucial for reuniting families in the United States. Here's an overview of each category:

  • F1 Category (Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens): This category is for unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens who are 21 years of age or older. it also includes their minor children (if any). The critical requirement is that the son or daughter remain unmarried throughout the application process. Getting married would change their eligibility category.
  • F2 Category (Spouses, Minor Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Permanent Residents): This category is further divided into two subcategories:
      • F2A: Spouses and minor children (under 21) of LPRs.
      • F2B: Unmarried sons and daughters of LPRs who are 21 or older.
    • In the F2 category, a higher priority is given to spouses and minor children (F2A) over adult sons and daughters (F2B).
  • F3 Category (Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens): This category applies to U.S. citizens' married sons and daughters. It includes the spouses and minor children of these sons and daughters. The U.S. citizen parent must file the petition, and the marriage status of the son or daughter must be maintained throughout the process.
  • F4 Category (Siblings of U.S. Citizens): This category is for siblings of U.S. citizens, where the U.S. citizen is at least 21 years old. It includes the spouses and minor children of these siblings. The U.S. citizen must file the petition on behalf of their sibling.

Eligibility and Application Process

To sponsor a relative for a Family Preference Green Card, the U.S. citizen or permanent resident must file Form I-130 (Petition for Alien Relative) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). At Wogwu Law, we guide you through this process, ensuring that all the required documentation is accurately completed and submitted. After the petition is approved, your relative will wait for a visa to become available in their category, then apply for the Green Card.

Priority Dates and Waiting Periods

Understanding priority dates and waiting periods is one of the most challenging aspects of the Family Preference Green Card process. The priority date is the date when the I-130 petition is filed. It determines your relative's place in line for a visa. Due to annual caps, some categories experience significant delays. We provide regular updates and strategic advice on managing these waiting periods.

vawa 2

Adjustment of Status vs. Consular Processing

Depending on your relative's location, they may apply for a Green Card through adjustment of status (if they are already in the U.S.) or consular processing (if they are outside the U.S.). Each path has its procedures and requirements. Our experienced team at Wogwu Law will determine the best course of action based on your family's unique circumstances.

Preparing for the Green Card Interview

The Green Card interview is a critical step in the application process. Whether through adjustment of status or consular processing, your relative will need to attend an interview at a USCIS office or U.S. consulate. We prepare our clients for these interviews, providing tips on answering questions and what documents to bring.

Addressing Potential Challenges and Setbacks

The journey to obtaining a Family Preference Green Card can sometimes encounter hurdles, such as administrative delays, requests for additional evidence, or even denials. Attorney Wogwu and the team at Wogwu Law are adept at addressing these challenges, ensuring that your family's case stays on track toward a successful outcome.

Contact Us To Help You With Your Immigration Matter

Family reunification is a cornerstone of U.S. immigration policy, and at Wogwu Law, we are committed to helping you achieve this dream. If you are considering sponsoring a family member for a Green Card or need assistance with any aspect of family-based immigration, we are here to help. Call us today at 919-964-5472 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with a dedicated Immigration Lawyer serving clients worldwide. Let us be your partner in reuniting your family in the United States.

Do You Need Legal Representation?

We help fellow immigrants get legal status so they can live without fear: do it right the first time by using an experienced immigration attorney. Our team represents immigration clients who live in all fifty states and abroad.