green card for parentsImage

Green Card for Parents

Welcome to Wogwu Law, where we're passionate about reuniting families through the U.S. immigration system. If you're a U.S. citizen or permanent resident looking to bring your parents to live with you in the United States, you're in the right place. Obtaining a Green Card for parents can seem overwhelming, but with our guidance, it’s a journey we'll overcome together, making it as smooth and understandable as possible.

What is a Green Card for Parents?

A Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is the key to unlocking a life in the United States for your parents. It grants them the legal right to live, work, and enjoy life in the U.S. alongside their family. We understand the emotional value behind this process and are here to ensure that your dream of having your parents close becomes a reality.

Who Can Apply for a Parental Green Card?

The process of applying for a Parental Green Card in the United States is exclusively available to U.S. citizens who wish to bring their parents to live permanently in the U.S. This pathway to family reunification is not an option for permanent residents (Green Card holders). Let's delve into the specifics of who can apply and the requirements they must meet:

  1. Age Requirement for the U.S. Citizen Sponsor: To be eligible to sponsor a parent for a Green Card, the U.S. citizen must be at least 21. This age requirement ensures that the sponsor is legally considered an adult and capable of sponsoring a family member for permanent residency.
  2. Proof of Relationship Between the U.S. Citizen and the Parents: 
    1. The U.S. citizen sponsor must provide documentary evidence to establish their relationship with the parent(s) they are sponsoring. This is typically done through birth certificates.
    2. The birth certificate of the U.S. citizen should clearly show the parents' names. In cases where the names on the birth certificate do not match the current names of the parents (due to reasons like name changes, adoption, etc.), additional legal documentation may be required to prove the relationship.
    3. In situations involving step-parents or adoptive parents, additional documents like marriage certificates, adoption decrees, or court documents may be necessary to establish the parental relationship.
  3. Financial Stability of the U.S. Citizen Sponsor:
    1. The sponsor must demonstrate their financial capacity to support their parents. This is a critical requirement to ensure that the sponsored parents will not become a public charge, which means dependent on government assistance for their livelihood.
    2. To prove financial stability, the U.S. citizen must file an Affidavit of Support, typically using Form I-864. This form legally obligates the sponsor to support their parents financially.
    3. The sponsor must show that their income is at least 125% above the Federal Poverty Guidelines for their household size, including the sponsored parent(s). This requirement ensures the sponsor has sufficient resources to support their family and the additional members they are sponsoring.
    4. In cases where the sponsor’s income does not meet the required threshold, they may use the assets or a joint sponsor to meet the requirement.
  4. Sponsor’s Legal Status and Residence:
    1. The sponsor must be a U.S. citizen living in the United States or a U.S. territory. If the U.S. citizen is living abroad, they must prove that they will establish a residence in the U.S. when their parents arrive.
    2. The sponsor must hold a valid U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship, or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad as proof of their U.S. citizenship.
green card for parents 2

The Application Process

The application process can be tricky, but that's what we're here for. The key steps include:

  1. Filing the Petition: The process begins with Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. This form establishes your relationship with your parents.
  2. Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing: The following steps vary depending on whether your parents are inside or outside the U.S. We’ll guide you through adjusting their status or consular processing.
  3. Affidavit of Support: As a sponsor, you’ll complete an Affidavit of Support to prove you can financially support your parents in the U.S.

What Happens After Approval

Upon approval, your parents will receive their Green Card, opening a new chapter of their life in the U.S. with you. We’ll guide you through what comes next, including how to prepare for your new life in America.

Contact Wogwu Law Today, Let’s Bring Your Parents Home

At Wogwu Law, we’re more than just immigration lawyers; we’re a team dedicated to bringing families together. We understand the emotional and legal complexities involved in immigration, and we’re here to provide you with personalized, compassionate, and effective legal support.

If your dream of reuniting with your parents in the U.S. is close to your heart, let Wogwu Law guide you. Call us today at 919-964-5472 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with a dedicated immigration lawyer serving clients worldwide. We’re here to help you bring your parents home.

Do You Need Legal Representation?

We help fellow immigrants get legal status so they can live without fear: do it right the first time by using an experienced immigration attorney. Our team represents immigration clients who live in all fifty states and abroad.