worker permits 1

Work Permits

Going through the U.S. work permit process can be complex, but at Wogwu Law, we simplify it for you. Whether you're seeking employment opportunities in the United States or an employer looking to hire foreign nationals, our team is equipped to guide you through every step of obtaining a work permit.

Understanding U.S. Work Permits

A U.S. work permit, officially known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), allows individuals to work legally in the U.S. for a specific period. Several categories of foreign nationals are eligible for an EAD. We help you understand which category fits your situation and what it means for your employment prospects.

Who Can Apply for a Work Permit?

Eligibility for a U.S. work permit, officially known as an Employment Authorization Document (EAD), is based on your specific immigration status or visa type. Here are some common categories of individuals who may be eligible to apply for a work permit:

  • Asylum Applicants: Individuals who have applied for asylum in the United States and are waiting for a decision on their asylum application can apply for a work permit. Usually, they can apply for an EAD if 150 days have passed since the submission of their asylum application and no decision has been made.
  • International Students: Certain international students may be eligible for a work permit under specific conditions. For example, students on F-1 visas might be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) or Curricular Practical Training (CPT), which allow them to work in areas related to their field of study.
  • Dependents of Visa Holders: Certain visa holders, such as spouses of H-1B (H-4 visa) or L-1 visa holders, might be eligible to apply for a work permit. The eligibility often depends on specific conditions tied to the principal visa holder’s status.
  • Adjustment of Status Applicants: Individuals who have applied for lawful permanent residency (Green Card) in the U.S. can apply for a work permit while their Green Card application is being processed.
  • Temporary Protected Status (TPS) Beneficiaries: Those granted TPS due to unsafe conditions in their home countries can apply for a work permit, allowing them to work legally in the U.S. for as long as their TPS status is valid.
  • DACA Recipients: Individuals who benefit from the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program can apply for a work permit. DACA provides temporary protection from deportation for qualified young adults who came to the U.S. as children.
  • Certain Visa Holders: Some other specific visa categories also allow for the eligibility to apply for a work permit. USCIS defines these categories and includes a range of humanitarian and non-immigrant statuses.

Other Special Categories: There are additional special categories defined by USCIS that may be eligible for work authorization, such as applicants for suspension of deportation, certain battered spouses and children, and other specific categories.

worker permits 2

The Application Process

Applying for a work permit involves completing Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. Our team helps you compile and submit all required documents, ensuring your application is thorough and accurate. We also keep you updated on any changes in immigration policies that might affect your application.

What Employers Need to Know About Hiring Foreign Nationals

For employers, hiring foreign nationals involves understanding visa requirements and the EAD process. We counsel businesses on compliance with immigration laws, ensuring you can legally employ the talent you need worldwide.

Renewal and Extensions

Maintaining legal employment status in the U.S. often involves renewing or extending your work permit. We assist with timely renewals, helping you avoid gaps in employment authorization and ensuring your continued eligibility to work in the U.S.

Begin Your U.S. Employment Journey with Wogwu Law

At Wogwu Law, we pride ourselves on providing personalized, experienced guidance on work permit applications. Our approach is friendly, clear, and devoid of legal jargon, making the process as stress-free as possible.

Ready to start your employment journey in the United States? Contact Wogwu Law today at 919-964-5472 or contact us online to schedule a consultation with a dedicated immigration lawyer. We serve clients globally, helping you or your employees secure the necessary authorization to work in the U.S.

Do You Need Legal Representation?

We help fellow immigrants get legal status so they can live without fear: do it right the first time by using an experienced immigration attorney. Our team represents immigration clients who live in all fifty states and abroad.